From wide eyes, wagging tails, tiny whimpers to droll, it can be hard to resist a begging pet’s pleads for a taste of your holiday morsels! Tis the season, as well as, a time of sharing and goodwill, which is why your dog may get spoiled with extra treats this time of year. There is nothing wrong with feasting with your favorite furry pal, but it’s important to know what not to feed dogs over the holidays. There are many favorite foods that contain ingredients that are harmful to your furry friends’ health and your holidays!
Here’s a look at a some items to avoid when feeding your pet:
Turkey: While a huge turkey bone may seem like a delicious treat for your pup, it can lead to choking and cause damage to your pet’s GI tract. Other harmful ingredients such as onion and garlic and spices may sneak into your dishes, too causing digestion problems.
Ham: Pork products can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. Additionally, pork is high in fat and sodium, which can lead to obesity, dehydration and even sodium ion poisoning.
Prime rib: No one likes dry and overcooked beef. However, undercooked meats contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can be dangerous to domestic pets. Leave the raw meats for canines in the wild.
Stuffing: Most stuffing recipes call for items that can be toxic to dogs and cats, like garlic and onions. But there’s another common ingredient that often gets overlooked — sage. Although it can be a delicious addition to your stuffing, it (and many other herbs) contains essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression in pets.
Candied yams/sweet potato casserole: If raisins are involved in your recipe — that’s a huge no for your pet. There’s a toxic substance in grapes and raisins that has been linked to kidney failure in dogs.
Dinner rolls: Plain bread is generally safe to give your pets, on special occasion; however, raw yeast dough can ruin their entire holiday. The sugars in the dough turn to carbon dioxide gas and alcohol, which can result in bloated drunken pets.
Pecan pie: Most nuts are high in fat and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even pancreatitis in pets.
Chocolate: This one is a no-brainer, but in case you forgot, never feed your pets chocolate (yes, that goes for dark chocolate too.) Substances within chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, seizures, tremors and even death.
Because these foods are prevalent over the holiday season it is a good idea to always keep an eye on your pet. Both dogs and cats have a way of getting on tables and counter surfing to get at the feast when you’re not looking.
They also have a way of charming your holiday guests or family members with their big puppy eyes, so make sure your guests area aware that they should not feed your pet anything without your permission.
Another item often overlooked, loading the dishwasher. Because most machines are down closer to your pup’s height, he has easier access to lick the plates, bowls and spoons clean. So, make sure to keep an eye on him so that he does not do this. This will not only help keep him from eating any harmful food that might still be stuck to a plate, but it will also help keep him from cutting his tongue on something sharp like a steak knife.
With a little common sense and a bit of extra care, both you and your pet can enjoy a safe, fun and joyful holiday season.